Thursday, January 15, 2009

In Response

While I knew that Drunks 3 could ruffle a few feathers, I didn’t know that the first comment would be from an anonymous poster only hours after the post went up. I’d like to thank them for taking the time to comment and I’d like to respond. First, here is their comment:
While I agree that you (and other medics) need to do what you need to do to protect yourself, your writing style seems to show a disturbing level of enjoyment . The fact that you "got even" with your altered patient by "knocking her out and cutting up her leather coat" shows that you may need to look at your patient care/compassion skills.
I think medics should be allowed chemical sedation when needed, but from reading your take on this event, and the other "drunks" you've dealt with, you seem a little "quick on the plunger" when it comes to the potential use of inapsine.
While I will refrain from making baseless accusations about the anonymous commentator, it does sound as if this person is not a paramedic. I would like to say that the “enjoyment” they refer to is something that any paramedic or EMT takes in any skill that they perform. As an example, is it wrong for a medic to take a certain amount of enthusiastic joy in intubating someone? The medic is practicing a life saving skill on a patient having a very, very bad day, often a cardiac arrest or multi-systems trauma. Let’s be honest with ourselves, those are calls that we consider “good” in a sense that we get to practice a variety of our skills. So, is it selfish or self serving to give ourselves a high-five, pat on the back and tell our coworkers what a great job we did, after the fact? Of course not.

I performed a necessary intervention (i.e. patient care skill) when I chemically sedated this patient. I won’t lie and say that I didn’t feel an amount of justification (and the gut feeling of “getting even”) in sedating the patient. Especially considering this person had sexually assaulted my partner and myself, and caused physical injury to me. I was honest in how I felt. I wrote about the feelings that I had at the time of the incident and it is implied that I used the appropriate interventions and patient care skills to mitigate the situation and treat the patient. To imply that I am “too quick on the plunger,” well, let me quote directly from my treatment protocols.
Always consider your safety…if patient is combative [with] no known trauma cause for AMS, consider Inapsine 5mg IV or 10mg IM.
In actuality, I gave the patient an underdose of inapsine. As a paramedic, I am also thoroughly aware and take into consideration the risk versus benefit of every medication that I administer.

Finally, to imply that I need to reevaluate my patient care/compassion skills, I say to you: how dare you think you can judge me and my skills based upon one anecdotal story. I would refer you to such posts as Screamin’ Eagle, Why We Do, or Tragic to “demonstrate” my compassion and patient care. I would also like to refer you to Force, a brief essay on use of force in restraining a patient, a topic that I feel strongly about. But even if that isn’t enough to demonstrate that patient care and compassion are always at the forefront of every call I run, I’ll refer you to the two EMS Provider of the Year awards bestowed upon me by my fire department. Or even better, I’ll refer you to the Meritorious Service Medal for EMT-Intermediate of the Year and the Medal of Valor, both bestowed upon me by the State of Oregon. Oh, and after that, would you like to ask my wife, who wants nothing more than for me to come home safely after every shift, if it was acceptable patient care?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response to my original comments on your story “Drunks 3”. I’m flattered that you feel I required a whole new post to rebut my comments. First, I remain anonymous due to my position. Sorry. I have to fly under the radar. However to justify my comments, I have been involved in EMS since the mid 80s and a paramedic since 1988. I’ve been in my share of identical situations to the ones you’ve documented in your blog. Of course, you’ll just have to trust me on this one.

When I wrote that you seem to take a great deal of pleasure in restraining your patients, I am not simply referring to one anecdotal story, I reference back to “Drunks 2” for additional support.

And so my patience broke. I forcefully unwrapped his feet, roughly slamming his legs back onto the cot, then I loosed his grip, throwing his arms back onto his chest. Then we roughly tossed him to the ER cot in a kind of “1-2-3-heave!” motion.

Afterwards, I told me partner “sorry. I know I lost my cool, but guys like that really just piss me off.”

“You know, you were way too nice to him,” he replied.

Too nice, huh. I guess I’d broken my own rule. I should have used to inapsine, drawn up and sitting next to me on the bench, as it was.


It I understandable that “guys like that piss [you] off”, yet allowing yourself to display your anger issues with a patient and then have the gall to write about it, as if you were in the right paints the picture of a burnt out medic that has minimal patient care skills. And I’m sorry friend, but all of your “meritorious service awards” and that shiny “medal of valor” mean squat in that case. Being as jaded as you appear at only 25 is sad. Where will you be in 10 years? Will you still love your job? When an altered patient presents will you still whip out the Inapsine and “slam that plunger home”? I hope as you mature in this career, you’ll strive to improve your communications skills. As a mentor and good friend told me many yeas ago, “More listening, less posturing”.

I agree with you when you write about the enjoyment felt when you get that tough tube or work a flawless code. It is a moment when you feel proud. All of your skills come into play and you demonstrate that you are a valuable cog in the machine of life. I get it. I’ve been there. And yes, when I was younger, I felt the same thrill after knocking down a drunk with Haldol. Then I got a little older. Just because it’s in the protocol doesn’t mean I’m gong down that road.

May I suggest a couple of books? “Verbal Judo” can be a huge help in dealing with the folks that seem past the point of communication, and if you haven’t read “People Care” from Thom Dick, do it now. It may change your life.

As an aside, I really do enjoy your writing style and will continue to read your blog posts, even if I don’t agree.

Thanks for taking the time to read my reply to your reply.

Medix311 said...

Anonymous, again I would thank you for taking the time to comment. Especially considering that you have taken the time to reply in such length. I value the ability to have an open discussion with my peers.

I would like to pose a few questions to you: can you honestly tell me that in your long EMS career, you’ve never lost your cool with a patient? You make the comment that you have been in the same position as I, that you’ve taken the same joy in using Haldol on a drunk patient. And then you write about, “how you got older.” I don’t know if you mean in a physical age sense, or that of “maturity” that you seem to imply that I lack. I would like to ask if you remember what it’s like to be 25, and have difficulty communicating and maintaining control of patients because of the age gap. I work with the handicap of being “the young kid.”

I would like to point out that the first and second cases I presented were handled with communication, even though I felt that chemical restraint may have been appropriate on the second case. As for the third case, communication was attempted before physical restraint or chemical sedation.

I make mention of the awards I’ve received because you imply that I have poor patient care skills. I use these to illustrate in an objective way that my peers have recognized me for exemplary patient care skills. To imply otherwise, I do take a certain amount of offense to. I have mentioned numerous times in my posts that it’s important to learn something from every call. I know that I’m still young in my EMS career and I have never implied that I have nothing further to learn or improve upon. I also take offense to being called “jaded.” If you choose to comment further on my blog, please refrain from attacks on my character.

I do know of “Verbal Judo,” and appreciate your recommendation of “People Care.” Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog and I appreciate that you enjoy my writing style. I guess on this matter, we will have to agree to disagree. I do believe that I was right in the care that I provided to this patient, but your comments have caused me to reflect quite a bit more on the case.