Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ideal Partner

A comment on my last post by Michael Morse got me thinking about who my ideal partner would be--or at least the qualities that I'd be looking for.

1. Comes to work with a positive attitude. This is of utmost importance to me. I'm 25-years-old and I've been able to identify in my self that I an easily influenced by other people's attitudes. It's a flaw, I know. But if my partner comes to work with a positive attitude and keeps that attitude no matter how bad the shift gets, then we'll have a great day together.

2. Leave the ego at home. I appreciate my partner's experience, be it 10 years or 10 days on the job, paid or volunteer. I believe everyone has a different perspective they can bring to the job. That being said, I am the senior tech and with that, I'm ultimately responsible for the station, the ambulance, us (as a crew), the firemen, the scene, and the patient. I want my partner's input on things, but if I say this is how we're going to do it, then this is how we're going to do it. Check the ego and go with the flow. You keep me from having to pull the "paramedic" card and you'll save yourself some embarrassment and headache.

3. Want to be an EMT. My company works Paramedic/Basic crews, meaning that roughly 90-95% of patients are cared for by the medic, most of the time relegating the Basic to a driver. And when the Basic has patient care, typically its for the "neck-pain" c-spine patient or the belligerent drunk we (paramedics) don't want deal with. But if you have a want to be an EMT, then you should have a want to provide patient care. EMTs that are here only to be my driver don't deserve my respect. EMTs that want to ride with patients and exercise their skills will be given more opportunities to do so.

4. Have the desire to do your job. Now this goes beyond that of patient care, this encompasses everything we do in our 24-hour shifts. All the boring stuff that we don't really want to do like house chores, inventory, equipment maintenance, training, mapping, ambulance washing, and everything else that takes away from driving around with lights and sirens. I don't like doing a lot of that stuff either and would much prefer to spend my shift on the couch sleeping or watching TV--but as my boss so bluntly puts it, "you're paid to work for 24-hours." So please, take the time to help me take care of the house work and daily chores--it makes my boss happy, which in turn keeps me happy.

5. Honesty, compassion, trustworthyness, strong morals and ethics, and all the other qualities that make up a good person.

I'm still looking for that ideal partner. Oh well.

9 comments:

Michael Morse said...

My ideal partner?

Somebody who wants to be here.
Somebody who takes care of the equipment as if it were their own.
Somebody who cares about the homeless drunk as much as the bank president.
Somebody who's not afraid to tell me when I'm acting like an ass.
Somebody I trust.

There's a million little things that all fit under the above items.

I operate in a fire based EMS service. All of my good partners eventually burn out and transfer to the fire side. I'm weird , I guess, I did fire for ten years before transfering to EMS.

.. said...

You two are not helping me and my need to do EMS full time. So if you could kindly please stop, that would be great... I'd take either of you any day. Who wants a lowly IV-tech?

Medix311 said...

I will take a highly-skilled IV tech any day.

Michael Morse said...

I'll take you, Bernice, and you can be the Captain!

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. I am starting Basic in the spring. I hope to ingrain in my brain what you and everyone else has posted and be a good partner!

.. said...

I'm loved! YAY!

As of this second right now, I am seriously considering a move to somewhere far far away. I do believe you both fall into the far far away category, so we will start the bidding at one brand new stethescope.

Linda Wyatt said...

I'd love to work with either of you.

I want to be here- I've wanted to be here since I was a kid... so that's about 35-40 years of wanting to be an EMT before I was able to rearrange my life to become one.

I volunteer in a tiny department where I am functionally one of two EMTs- and the other is my son, who took the same Basic class I did. We have one EMT-I in the department, who rarely shows up to calls, and two other EMT-Bs who have had their cards for about two months, but have not yet made it to any calls because they don't actually live in the district, so we are basically on our own. Fortunately for everyone, we are non-transporting, so we have automatic ALS back up on the way.

I'm hoping to work for that ambulance company in a couple of years when my youngest is older, and I can do this full time. Until then, I want to learn as much as I can, get as much experience as I can, and that includes learning from all of the paramedics who come out this way. Some of them are fabulous medics, and great role models. Some, not so much- but I have a lot to learn, even from them.

I have taken the EMT-I class, but have not yet taken the tests. Still working on getting the hours and procedures in, and I'm not in any hurry. I want to really know what I'm doing, not just pass the tests.

Medix311 said...

Bernice, I would gladly bid a nice, new stethoscope--but I'm still looking for mine right now...

.. said...

Eff it... I have two. Who needs a fancy one? My trusty yellow double lumen cheapo hasn't done me wrong yet. What else you got? ;)