Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New Years Eve, 2005

It was a Saturday evening and I had only been working in the company full time for 6 months. I was partnered with a new paramedic because I was “a strong EMT,” as my boss put it, “someone who can keep an eye on her.” She was green, but so was I, and in that way we kind of balanced each other.

Around midnight, we were dispatched to a person fallen through the roof of a downtown highrise. The buildings occupied a whole city block; an old hotel, an office building, and the old city hall. Five and six story buildings, separate, but all interconnected in strange ways. There were abandoned, condemned, and used mainly by squatters and vagrants.

We pulled up to the block, police were on scene already, so were the fire guys, both the paid and volunteer boys. My partner and I grabbed our kit and a flashlight and climbed up the front steps of the reported building. We climbed up dust covered stairs, old newspapers and trash scattered about, ascending towards the roof. I pictured walking into a room and looking up, seeing a pair of legs dangling from a hold in the ceiling.

We were met by a cop on the third floor, telling us he’d met with the reporting party and that an 18 year old had fallen into some kind of pit on the roof. We hustle up the roof access, looking across rooftops towards where a teenager is waving us over. He’s on the next building over, with a roof one story lower than we’re already on. My partner and I, followed by the fireman, make our way over to the roof edge, then clamber down to the next building using the pipes and ductwork.

We followed the teen to the edge of this building, where a ten foot wide, narrow pit separated this roof from the next. He told us he and his friend were screwing around on the roof when his friend tripped into the pit. Shining our light down, we could see another teen looking up from four stories below. He was propped in the corner of the pit, sitting in stagnant water up to his waist. He was awake and alert, but said he could move his legs.

The firemen were at our side now, and we began discussing options; setting up the ladder truck and an elaborate rope rescue sounded like the most fun. But as we examined the pit, we could see the walls were lined by the windows from the hotel we had just come up. Telling the kid to hold tight, we headed back inside.

More firemen had brought up our back board and had found the hotel room closest to the pit. The small, square window in the kitchen opened into the narrow trench between these buildings, and we could see the teen at the far end. The pit stunk, full of standing rain water, trash, and the carcasses of dead birds. All of us—the firemen, cops, and my partner and I—looked at each other, asking the question who’s going out there? And while it made the most sense for the firemen with their water proof boots and bunker pants, it was my partner and I, along with two cops, who rolled up and pant legs and waded into the knee deep fetid water.

Our backboard we floated towards the teen between us as we slogged the 30 feet towards him. The water was cold and most likely very, very unhygienic. The teen, Jay, was shivering when we got to him, with back pain, and the inability to move his legs.

We had already activated the trauma system for limb paralysis, and now we were trying to be as gentle as possible as we packaged him. My partner and I talked the cops through floating the board under the teen as we picked him up, then we strapped him in well enough to half float, half carry him out to the tiny hotel room. We passed him through to the firemen still waiting in the hotel room, and continued packaging Jay in the dark.

The evening was just starting to warm up, though.

We were still packaging Jay when we were dispatched to shots fired, possible GSW in the next town over. Our other units were busy taking other calls all over the county and we had a trauma system, paralysis patient to take care of. With cops lighting our way down the creaking grand staircase of this old hotel, we hustled to our ambulance and loaded Jay inside.

He was hypothermic, having been unable to get himself out of the water for over an hour, he had no sensation or motion in his legs, and he was lethargic. I was working on base line vitals while my partner was working on IVs, when we were dispatched to our 2nd pending 911 call, a bar fight downtown with injuries. “Screw it,” my partner told me, “lets go.”

We were only 12 blocks from the hospital and it was time for just quick patient turnovers and turnarounds. Rescue was already responding to the shooting, and now the fire guys who were giving us a hand with Jay were on their way to the bar fight a few blocks away.

I’m sure that when my partner and I rolled into the ER, we looked quite comical—both of us were leaving a trail of dirty, wet boot prints, our pant legs were still rolled up to our knees, and we were making that slurp-slurp sound with each step we took.
I had taken my uniform sweatshirt off and was only in a white t-shirt with a backwards-turned company cap. I know I looked like a fool.

We tried to be as quick as we could with the turnover, letting the staff know about the pending calls and to expect more patients. Our turnaround I was proud of, phenomenally fast considering. We rolled down our pants legs and set out he door. As it turns out though, the GSW was an unable to locate and the bar fight was some guy that pissed off the wrong person and took a punch to the face. He was fine, of course—only some hurt pride. Jay, as it turns out, wasn’t paralyzed. Just really, really cold and weak.

My boots however, didn’t fare so well. They weren’t water proof and became water logged. And oh my god, the smell. Even after soaking in a tub of disinfectant and bleach for 8 hours, the smell still wouldn’t go away. My boots didn’t survive the night of New Years Eve, 2005.

0 comments: