Friday, September 19, 2008

Good News

I had to stop in at headquarters on my way home from work this morning to fill out my time card and such. As I was leaving, actually pulling out of the parking lot, my boss flags me down and calls me into his office. This was unusual and he was looking pretty severe.

I stepped into his office and thankfully he didn't close the door behind me. He turned to me and said, "you remember that call in December, during the storm?"

"Yeah..." The Great Coastal Gale of 2007, not something I'll easily forget. I wrote about it here.

"Well, it sure made for a good story. I wrote it up and sent it into the state for a Meritorious Service award."

Great! I'm thinking, my partner and I are going to receive a Unit Citation.

"Turns out," my boss keeps going, "they thought it was worth a Medal of Valor."

That's right, my partner and I are receiving the highest honor for EMS uniformed service personnel in the state. According to Oregon's EMS awards handbook:
The Medal of Valor recognizes acts of personal valor or heroism in the delivery of emergency medical care, which results in the saving of a life under extreme conditions and in extraordinary circumstances.
Just as cool, the Pacific Power & Light utility worker that helped clear the highway for my partner and I will be receiving the same award. We'll all be going to the Oregon EMS Conference in October and receive our awards at a banquet dinner. I can't tell you how excited I am to be receiving this award.

9 comments:

Motivated Medic said...

Sounds like it is well deserved. It strikes a chord with me as I just went through hurricane Ike down here in houston. Congratulations!

Epijunky said...

Congratulations on a well deserved award.

Sounds like it was a hell of a night.

Michael Morse said...

Well done! Congratulations, well deserved.

Medic61 said...

Congrats! That's so awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! JOB WELL DONE!

Medix311 said...

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I'm very excited about it. I got to tell my whole family about it yesterday--practically made my mother cry.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Katie said...

That is wonderful news, congratulations. Thank you for bringing such dedication and skill to your job - and thank you for sharing your stories and experiences on this blog; really enjoy your writing!

Gene said...

Conga Rats!