Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Boots We Wear

It was time to order new boots. My old pair, a very comfortable pair of Galls Atheltic style boots, was cracking at the heels and the sole was separating from the boot. I did some shopping around, specifically looking for a pair of leather, waterproof, zippered boots under $150. I settled on a pair of Bates Durashock boots; leather, zippered, and water resistant.

These boots were comfortable out of the box, but still needed a couple of days to get broken in well. They looked new from the factory, unscuffed of course, but also a little dull. So I bought a tin of boot polish and started to shine ‘em up. For the last three weeks, I’ve spent at least an hour every shift polishing my boots to a glossy shine.

*****

I believe that you can tell a lot about an EMT or a medic by the boots that they wear. I take the time to polish my boots, to put forth a professional image from head to toe. I like to think that I’m precise and polished in my skills—not perfect, mind you—but polished.

Other medics show to work with ugly boots, never once shined from the moment they left the box, or worse, shined with those awful all-in-one sponges. Their uniform shirts are wrinkled, often with more than a couple of old coffee stains. Similarly, their skills are rough and they lack that personal touch, but they’re still passable as medics.

My company SOGs state that footware shall be “black and polishable.” Note that it doesn’t state “boot” specifically, but “footware.” Many of our employees have come to exploit this as well.

While black romeos aren’t specifically against company policy, they are a poor idea. They offer very little traction and no ankle support. They are not made for hiking a trail to rescue hiker or wade into a flooded ditch. And those EMTs in my company that choose to wear the romeo would not make the effort to climb that mountain, or they’d send a fireman into the ditch for their patient. They’re lazy, unwilling to do the work of lacing up a pair of boots and unwilling to do the work of polished EMT.

I’ve seen a medic come to work in black loafers. Old man shoes (if you’ll excuse the expression, but he is an old man.) His shoes also keep him from hiking hills or crawling into ditches, but they do convey a sense of professionalism and formality. We won’t see these loafers rappelling down a cliff, but we will see them standing next to Mr. Jones and his loafers as we help him up from the floor. The loafers, and the medic they’re attached to, has a way of interacting with the elderly population and putting them at ease that isn’t reproduceable by the medics my age.

A new hire EMT is working in a pair of black danskos, a wonderful nursing clog, but a shoe for the field it is not. Her attitude is great, with a perky smile, and a cute little pony tail. Her footware betrays her inexperience. She hasn’t had to hike a mountain or crawl into a ditch yet. Likewise, she hasn’t yet rolled her ankle stepping out of the ambulance, or worse, carrying a patient down a flight of stairs. Her skills lack polish and experience, just like her clogs.

*****

The last time I was at my parent’s place, I asked my mother if she still had her dad’s shoe shine kit. It was a worn, wooden box with a shoe stand on the lid. The hinges and latch were tarnished brass. Inside, I remember he had all kinds of brushes, polishes, and rags. Mom still had the box, which she was happy to pass over to me. Inside were all of grandpa’s old horsehair brushes, used so many times they’re down soft. Old tins of Kiwi polish caked and dried, and old, oil stained rags that smell like wood and polish. The care that went into my grandfather’s old cowboy boots (and a cowboy he was) now are going into my work boots.

My boots are something I can feel proud of. I think they make me stand out a little from my coworkers, even if I’m the only one who notices how nice they look. The work that I put into them, in a very strange way, makes me feel like a better Paramedic.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome post, both in message and imagery.

ironically, I'm shopping for boots currently. Just remembered why I like leather boots. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nice. Very nice.

-134

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://weryzinuke.digitalzones.com/bubadyz.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ymusyven.lookseekpages.com/qazupex.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin to get income with a sum that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking as far as something that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are around 350 pounds on every page. But for all I set this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices seeking the sneakers are approximately 240 bucks everwhere. But completely I bring about this locate selling them for half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you say about it?