Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Pockets

On a lot of the EMS blogs I've read, people having posted about what they carry with them while on shift. I've also been asked by new EMTs and First Responders, new firemen and new company employees about when they should carry. Over the years, I've paired down my list to just the essentials.
  • Cook pager. A company requirement for receiving dispatch information.
  • Portable radio. Again, a company requirement. My pager and radio are the only two things that ever sit on my belt. No Batman utility belt for me.
  • Littman stethoscope. A high quality stethoscope is something I consider an essential piece of equipment. Mine was given to me by my best friend when I started Paramedic school.
  • A black, fine tip Sharpie marker. Nothing works better for taking notes than writing on the back of my glove with my trusted Sharpie. I like these so much that my wife bought me a bunch of the colored mini-Sharpies last Christmas.
  • Personal cell phone. For obvious reasons.
  • My iPod touch. For killing time while sitting at post.
And that's it. Like others, some odds and ends make their way into my pockets on various shifts like unused gloves, a errant roll of tape, or the narcs pouch.

However, my fire turnouts and the complete opposite. Sometimes I think I keep a whole toolbox on me. While on the fire scene, I absolutely hate having to go back to the truck for a small tool, so I like to carry everything on me. I'm also a bit of a gadget nut, so new toys are always migrating through my gear.
  • Bright Star Responder right angle flashlight. My favorite flashlight that always hangs on the front of my gear.
  • Pelican Super Sabre 3C flashlight. My favorite handheld flashlight. I prefer this over the bulky light boxes we carry on the trucks.
  • Two Res-Q-Renches by Task Force Tips. Great for quick coupling. Doesn't replace the regular aluminum spanners, though.
  • Res-Q-Me keychain window punch. I can never find a window punch on the truck when I need one. These thing is awesome!
  • Yates Escape Belt and bailout bag. My newest 'gadget.' I hope that I never have to use it.
  • Informed Fire & Rescue Field Guide, 7th Edition. Has a great pump chart, some good hazmat info, and tips on how to cut up hybrid cars.
  • Structural firefighting gloves.
  • General, light duty gloves.
  • Nomex hood.
  • A leatherman-type multitool.
  • An allen wrench multitool for opening alarm pull stations.
  • Chemlights.
  • Garrity LED flashlight.
All this stuff is in addition to my fire department pager and radio, SCBA mask, and turnouts that I take with my on every fire call. It's pretty obvious that I'm not as much of a minimalist when it comes to my fire stuff.

2 comments:

AZReam said...

A good quality stethoscope doesn't have to be Littmann - consider also PureTone, Reister and the range from MDF

EE said...

Azream, negative buddy, you're wrong. It does have to be a Littman! :)