Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Mistakes

I'm a new paramedic, still in my first year in the field. I've made mistakes, some big and some small. I misdiagnosed a failing pneumonia patient as CHF and gave lasix, further worsening the problem. I've asked stupid questions in front and patients and firemen. I've rolled into the ER with cardiac patients that aren't on oxygen.

Today, I've had a difficult shift. I can't start an IV to save a life. I forgot to check a blood sugar on a fallen diabetic. My partner and I (with the fire department) had to inadequately c-spine a 300 pound patient strictly because of his size.

I've been reflecting on my mistakes today because I've been feeling down. My favorite ER nurse told me that I'm just being too hard on myself--and maybe that's all it is. Sometimes it's easier to focus on the mistakes than the times when I "got it right."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just relax. I have been a Medic for 12 years now. We all make mistakes. But, you need to learn from each mistake. Use your mistakes as a sign that you need to obtain more knowledge and experience. What is your partners medical level? Just make sure you remember the priorities, A-B-C. Take care, Scott