Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Anticipation

As I posted a little earlier, I'm a big Star Trek fan. So when it was announced that a new Trek movie was in production with JJ Abrams in charge, I damn near had a Klingon kitten. So I watched the teaser trailer and felt indifferent. Abrams has already talked about approaching this as a reboot of the franchise and the theme of the trailer illustrates that. But, I circled Christmas day on my calender as the theatrical release date and began the countdown.

However, I find out yesterday that the release has been pushed back to May of 2009. Initially upset (I'll have to white out my calender) I then did some investigating. I find out that Paramount pushed the release back to make it a summer blockbuster contender and avoid holiday competition. My gut reaction was "what kind of BS is this?" What kind of holiday competition is a Trek movie concerned about? And the fact this is supposed to be a blockbuster contender? This just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like the movie is being marketed as a money maker, and not a true addition to the franchise.

I'm anticipating the movie, but the more I find out about it, the more apprehensive I get.

0 comments: